Assistant Golf Course Superintendent
To post a position on this Web site, please call the Georgia GCSA Office at (706) 376-3585 or Click here to review or print the position announcement.
Assistant Superintendent - Metairie Country Club
First Assistant Superintendent - Biltmore Forest Country Club
Horticulturalist - Horseshoe Bend Country Club
Assistant Superintendent - Chestatee Golf Club
Assistant Superintendent - Cherokee Town & Country Club
Assistant Superintendent - Daniel Island Club
Assistant Superintendent - Waterfall Club
Metairie Country Club
Metairie Country Club is looking for a dedicated, self-starter assistant looking to enhance their skills to further their progress to the next level. This position is a combination of management and hands on.
Since its inception in 1922, Metairie Country Club has served its members as a haven of leisurely social elegance. Opened exclusively as a golf club, Metairie Country Club achieved instant fame due to its innovative course design. Taking a unique approach, every hole was a replica from a Scottish or American course. This spurred a tradition of creativity and reverence for the game that continues to this day, and makes us a unique Country Club in Louisiana.
- Greens – Tifdwarf
- Tees/Fairways - Tifsport
- Rough - Tifway 419
- Irrigation Control System - Hunter.
Job Summary: Under the Superintendent’s supervision, the Assistant Superintendent directs and participates in the daily golf course maintenance, management practices, supervision of crew, daily scheduling, training, application of chemicals and fertilizer, water monitoring and communication. The assistant superintendent may serve in the superintendent’s capacity during his absence.
- Project a positive attitude and lead by example
- Communicate effectively orally and email
- Schedule and supervise maintenance work to achieve the most efficient utilization of workers and equipment
- Responsible for the training of new staff members and continue to train employees to complete their task more efficient
- Apply chemicals in a SAFE and efficient manner in conjunction with all laws, rules and regulations as requested by the superintendent
- Maintain certification for turf and ornamental pesticide applications for the state of Louisiana
- Keep all records and inventories up to date (chemical, small tools, equipment, weather, fertilizer usage, pesticide usage, and employee data)
- Perform and lead projects as requested by the Superintendent
- Vacation and Sick Days
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Cell Phone Allowance
- National and Local Dues Paid
- Golf Privileges
- 2 or 4 year degree in a field related to the turf grass and golf course industry
- LDA applicator license or able to obtain one in 60 days.
Send Resume to: Ms. Joelle Montalbano, Human Resource Director, Metairie Country Club, firstname.lastname@example.org (e-mail).
Date Announcement was Posted: January 16, 2019.
Back to Top
Biltmore Forest Country Club
Course Operation: Biltmore Forest Country Club was founded in 1922 and is a Top 100 Platinum Club. The Donald Ross golf course has a championship history including the Western Amateur, Land of Sky Open, 1999 US Women’s Amateur, and the 2013 US Women’s Mid-Amateur. The membership consists of local/regional and National members. In 2015 the club completed a golf course restoration which included Better Billy Bunkers, A1 USGA greens, Zeon Zoysia tees and fairways and a new Toro irrigation system with Lynx. Currently, the club is building a new, state of the art maintenance building and also undergoing a creek bank restoration project. The Club is open year-round and recorded 16,000 rounds in 2018.
Duties: The First Assistant Superintendent is responsible for all aspects of the operation and day to day operations as required by the Superintendent. This position is full time and year-round. This includes but is not limited to: crew management, hand watering, fertilizer and chemical applications, irrigation repair and maintenance and project management. The ideal candidate will be an energetic, disciplined self-starter with a keen eye for detail. The successful candidate will be expected to work long hours and be a career-minded individual. The successful candidate should have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience. He/She should have an excellent work history and references with previous experience in all aspects listed in the Job Description above. The ideal candidate will have a positive attitude, an eagerness to learn, be a great team player, the ability to communicate well, is a critical thinker and problem solver, is detail oriented and the ability to lead and supervise staff.
Benefits: Paid time off, 401k with employer match, holiday bonus, medical/dental/long-term disability/vision, uniforms, meals, golfing privileges.
Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience required.
Send Resume to: Michael Heustis, 31 Stuyvesant Rd., Ashville, NC 28803; email@example.com (e-mail).
Date Position is Available: March 2019.
Application Deadline: January 31, 2019.
Date Announcement was Posted: January 14, 2019.
Back to Top
Horseshoe Bend Country Club
Course Operation: HBCC is a privately-owned 18 private country club.
Duties: This position will maintain all landscaped areas on the golf course and grounds. Duties will include, but not limited to: Pruning shrubs, edging beds, installing mulch, replacing annuals, installing new plants, pulling weeds, spraying herbicides, etc. The job is full-time with weekends off.
Salary: $15-18.00 per hour.
Benefits: Insurance after 90 days. Ability to golf when the club is closed. Uniforms provided.
Requirements: Must have 1 year of experience in the landscape industry.
Send Resume to: Blake Holland, 2100 Steeplechase Ln,., Roswell, GA 30097; firstname.lastname@example.org (e-mail) (470) 281-0104 (fax).
Date Position is Available: January 15, 2019.
Date Announcement was Posted: January 9, 2019.
Back to Top
Chestatee Golf Club
Course Operation: Chestatee is an 18-hole semi-private Dennis Griffiths design with Dominant Plus Bentgrass greens and 419 Bermuda tees/fairways/rough.
Duties: Assist the Superintendent in all aspects of the Golf Course operations, including but not limited to: Crew management & delegation, Fertilizer & pesticide Applications, Irrigation maintenance & repair, all equipment operation, etc… Experience with Bentgrass greens during Georgia summers is a huge plus..
Salary: $32,000-$35,000 Annual salary depending on experience.
Benefits: Medical, Dental and Vision after 60 days. Uniform, Meals, All association Dues and Events paid, Free Golf.
Requirements: 2- or 4-year Degree in Turf/Golf Management. Some Golf Course maintenance experience required.
Send Resume to: Jeff Losee, 777 Dogwood Way, Dawsonville, GA 30534; email@example.com (e-mail) .
Date Position is Available: Immediately.
Date Announcement was Posted: January 8, 2019.
Back to Top
Cherokee Town & Country Club
Course Operation: Cherokee Town and Country Club is looking for an Assistant Golf Course Superintendent at our Country Club which consists of 36 holes of championship golf set in the Chattahoochee River Basin. Both golf courses were re-designed by world renowned architect Tom Fazio. The Golf Course Agronomy Team works out of a state of the art turf care facility that sets the standard for the Green Industry. In addition to the golf courses, the Country Club features 15 acres worth of practice facilities including a driving range with four sets of tees and a three green, short game facility. The South Golf Course underwent a major renovation in 2016, converting the greens from bentgrass to Champion Ultradwarf and all of the bunkers to the Better Billy Bunker method. Both golf courses consist of Champion Ultradwarf greens, 419 fairways and roughs, TifGrand collections, and a combination of Zeon Zoysia and 419 Tees.
Duties: Assists in the day to day operation of the golf course. The Assistant Superintendent should be able to assist in the management of a large crew of full time, part time, and seasonal employees. The Assistant Superintendent should be able to serve as the Superintendent in his absence.
Job Knowledge, Core Competencies and Expectations
- Ability to coordinate and perform product application
- Water Management
- An understanding of agronomics related to plant health and soil management
- An understanding and commitment to Environmental Management
- Mathematic, budgetary and computers skills
- Ability to perform golf course maintenance operational tasks
- An understanding of golf course equipment operation and repair
- Ability to manage diverse employee population of 40+ employees
Tasks/ Skills Golf Course Maintenance
- The Assistant Superintendent will assist the Superintendent in the daily planning and supervising of the staff; supervise/apply pesticides; calibrate sprayers/spreaders; irrigation scheduling, repair, and maintenance.
- Able to troubleshoot problems and have an eye for the details.
- The Assistant Superintendent is expected to observe golf course conditions and make suggestions.
- Assist in promoting and enforcing safety practices in accordance with the clubs policies and procedures, as well as local, state and federal regulations.
- Oversees the completion or responsibilities assigned to all employees and ensures the quality of all work performed. Maintaining proper playing conditions.
- Helps record all maintenance on the golf course.
- Helps insure that chemicals, petroleum and other products are used, stored, and disposed of in accordance with local, state and federal regulations. Maintains required records.
- Participates in course renovations, such as sod laying or removal, sprigging, tree and landscape projects.
- Monitor and recognize common turf disease, weeds and insects, suggest proper treatments.
- Assists in operation and maintenance of irrigation and drainage systems and helps maintain records.
- Ability to operate all golf course maintenance equipment.
- Monitor golf course irrigation needs and assist in irrigation repairs and irrigation scheduling.
- Learn and apply the complexities of golf course setup, hole location and tee marker location for daily play and tournament golf.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to work as part of a TEAM.
- Must be in good physical condition and able to lift at least 50 lbs. and work long hours outside in heat and humidity.
- Strongly encouraged to play golf, and have knowledge of the game, rules of golf and methods of play.
- Assist in training and instructing the golf course maintenance team on the safe operation of all equipment; comfortable speaking in front of large groups; ability to speak basic workplace Spanish.
- The Assistant Superintendent is expected to interact with members throughout the day; always carry him or herself in a professional manor; attend a monthly Green Committee Meeting.
Reports to: Golf Course Superintendent.
Benefits: Competitive health insurance, vision, dental, 401K, vacation, paid time off, paid holidays, uniforms, lunches, Georgia GCSA dues, GCSAA dues, local education, golf privileges.
Requirements: 2-4 year Turfgrass Management Degree or similar and the ability to obtain GA pesticide license within 6 months of employment; Club experience (preferred).
Send Resume to: Please apply online and upload resume and cover letter - https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/69624
We participate in Everify / Cherokee is a Drug Free Workplace
Our organization has partnered with Talent Plus, a company that develops scientifically validated selection and development tools to identify the natural talents of our prospective employees.
To complete your application, we ask that you complete the following online assessment. This assessment will enable us to better understand your unique talents and how they align with our culture. The assessment will take approximately 25-30 minutes to complete.
Talent Assessment Link (https://prod-tbex.talentbankonline.com/TBEX/p/reg/cherokee).
Date Position is Available: Immediately..
Date Announcement was Posted: January 2, 2019.
Back to Top
Daniel Island Club
Course Operation: Daniel Island Club consists of two golf courses, Beresford Creek (Tom Fazio Design) and Ralston Creek (Rees Jones Design). Beresford Creek completed an extensive renovation to include bunkers (capillary concrete) and conversion of all tees, fairways and approaches to Latitude 36 Bermudagrass. Ralston Creek will complete an extensive renovation in 2019 to include bunkers (capillary concrete), conversion of tees, fairways and approaches to Latitude 36 and greens renovation (TifEagle). The Practice Facilities include a state-of-the-art Teaching Facility, over ten acres of maintained turf to include front and back practice tees and short game area.
Duties: Culture of Success: The Assistant and Second Assistant Superintendents will be exposed to several components of succession with respect to professional development: New technologies regarding golf course maintenance (computer software systems, mechanical applications, etc.); Budgeting and organizational applications (excel, power point, publisher, etc.); Developing a TEAM oriented environment; Career advancement to include mock interviews, resume development, etc.; Duties: Assists in the day to day operation of the golf course. The Assistant should be able to assist in the management and acclimation of a large crew of full time, part time, and seasonal employees. Job Knowledge, Core Competencies and Expectations. An understanding of agronomics related to plant health, soil management and pesticide applications. An understanding and commitment to water and environmental management. Mathematic, budgetary and computers skills. Ability to operate golf course maintenance equipment in a safe manner. Ability to manage diverse employee population of 50+ employees and follow-up of assigned tasks. Able to troubleshoot problems and have an eye for details. Assist in promoting and enforcing safety practices in accordance with the clubs policies and procedures, as well as local, state and federal regulations. Participates in course renovations, such as sod laying or removal, sprigging, tree and landscape projects. Assists in operation and maintenance of irrigation and drainage systems. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must be in good physical condition and able to lift at least 50 lbs. and work long hours outside in heat and humidity. Strongly encouraged to play golf, and have knowledge of the game, rules of golf and methods of play. Ability to speak basic workplace Spanish.
Salary: $42,000 - $48,000.
Benefits: Benefits include free employee meals while working, uniforms, partially paid medical and dental, fully paid life, short and long-term disability, 401(k) retirement plan with company contribution and match, and more.
Requirements: 1. 2-4-year Turfgrass Management Degree or similar2. Previous Assistant experience preferred3. SC pesticide license or ability to obtain within 6 months of employment4. Valid Driver's License.
Send Resume to: Joey Franco, CGCS, 600 Island Park Dr., Charleston, SC 29492; firstname.lastname@example.org (e-mail); (843) 408-4648 (fax).
Date Position is Available: February 2019.
Application Deadline: January 19, 2019.
Date Announcement was Posted: December 28, 2018.
Back to Top
Course Operation: Waterfall Club is an exclusively private, 18-hole facility overlooking beautiful Lake Burton in the North Georgia mountains. The Scott Pool design golf course offers a unique experience with the turf types, elevated tees, large undulated greens, and unmatched 360-degree views of the surrounding Chattahoochee National Forest in Georgia and Southern Nantahala National Forest in North Carolina. In addition to the golf course the club offers four dinning outlets, a spa, indoor pool, indoor and outdoor tennis courts. The local area is rich in natural resources and activities, such as world-class trout fishing, hiking on the Appalachian Trail, class IV white water rapids, and recreating on Lake Burton, Georgia’s highest elevation lake.With golf course elevations of 1900 to 2450 feet and consisting of 90 acres of cool-season turfgrass, employment at Waterfall Club is a great opportunity for an individual that desires to develop the adaptable and creative skillset required in the turf management industry.
Duties: The Assistant Superintendent position is a hands-on leadership role with the goal of preparing the individual for career advancement within the industry. This position will work closely with the Superintendent in all agronomic, financial, managerial and administrative aspects of the operation to provide a positive work environment, consistently increase expectations and improve the golf course experience. As a result, the Assistant will be provided all the tools and opportunities to increase their abilities and knowledge in preparation for the next step in their golf course management career. Basic responsibilities will include: forecasting operational objectives; Planning and implementing agronomic plans and practices; Oversee and/or perform all pesticide applications to greens, tees, fairways, roughs and natives; Managing, developing and delegating a crew of up to 20; Performing administrative tasks such as weekly scheduling, interviewing and hiring applicants, payroll, daily log and record keeping, and monthly safety meetings.
Benefits: Full benefit package, employee housing, meals, uniform allowance, association dues, 4-day work weeks December-February, golf, access to all club amenities.
Send Resume to: Interested applicants can send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Date Position is Available: Immediately.
Date Announcement was Posted: November 7, 2018.
Back to Top